If you are a swimmer, triathlete or want to keep your tracker on whilst you are doing the dishes you are probably interested in getting a waterproof fitness tracker. However, the choice is overwhelming so we’ve put together this post to help you hopefully pick the right one for you.
Fitbit are one of the market leaders in fitness trackers and it is only relatively recently that they started to produce waterproof fitness trackers. Other manufacturers such as Moov, Garmin, Samsung and Apple also have their own. It very much depends on what you are looking for. If you are a more serious swimmer or into multi sports you are more likely to be looking towards the advanced capabilities offered by Garmin whereas the more casual swimmer will probably find a lot less sophisticated tracker sufficient.
Best waterproof fitness trackers for 2018
For general fitness
- Moov Now (click to check current price on Amazon). Inexpensive, more like a fitness coach. It will record stroke type, turn time and other stats. Downside is that there is no visible screen
- Fitbit Flex 2 (click to check current price on Amazon)Small, inexpensive and simple. Again no screen but you get all the benefits of the Fitbit Ecosystem
For the more serious swimmer or if you are a data addict
- Apple Watch Series 3 – automatic stroke detection and GPS if you are into open water swimming. At the more expensive end of the scale.
- Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro – looks good as a watch, less expensive than Apple Watch, when integrated with Speedo App gives you stats such as lengths and duration
For open water swimming or triathlon
- Garmin Forerunner 935 (click to check current price on Amazon) this is a premium tracker. For swimming you can enter drills, set up intervals and record your SWOLF score. Because it is multi sport you can also track other activities such as cycling, golf, swimming etc.
Others on the market
It wasn’t that long ago that waterproof fitness trackers were extremely rare. However, recent times have been much more fruitful. We have shortlisted our choice of fitness trackers that you can swim with. However, this list is not extensive and there are several other choices including the Garmin Fenix 5, Nixon Mission , Garmin Swim and Nokia Go.